Skip Navigation|
  • Text Size
  • Small text icon
  • Large text icon

If you trained outside Ireland, then this page explains what documents we will need as part of your application.  However, you should only send us documents after you have received your full application pack. We will issue you with this pack once we have processed your Registration Application Request Form which is available on our Application Forms page.

To avoid delays in processing your application, you need to ensure that you provide all of the documents we require.  Once we have received and processed your completed Registration Application Form, we will send you a full application pack.

This pack includes:

  • Your reference number 
  • An application form for you to complete
  • Extra forms that need to be completed and sent directly to the Nursing and Midwifery Board of Ireland (NMBI) by a number of different relevant authorities, such as your current or previous employer and training colleges. 

The table below provides more details about the basic documentation we require:

Basic documentsGroup 1Group 2Group 3
Application formYesYesYes
Certified name documentsYesYesYes
Fee YesYesYes
Photographs (x2)YesYesYes
(of any documents not in English)
Form A + transcript YesYes
Form BYesYes
Form C + Certificate of Current Professional Status (CCPS)YesYesYes
Form D + International English Language Test System (IELTS) test report*
Form E + details of graduate programme *

The asterisk symbol (*) in the basic documents table means that you will find out in the group 3 section on this page see if we will need this as part of your application.

Do not send us any documents until you have received your full application pack.  Also, when you receive that pack, take care in completing the form and reading the declaration before you sign it.  Read the instructions carefully to understand what forms within the pack need to be completed by relevant authorities and sent directly to us.

Timeframe for submission of documents

We must receive all the application documentation needed to assess your application no later than 12 months after your application date.  Your "application date" is the date that we process your assessment fee.  If we have not received all the documents needed within this timeframe, your application will be closed. 

If you still want us to consider your application after 12 months, you will need to start the application process again.  This means making a new application and paying the assessment fee.


If you submit a document which is not written in English, you must provide us with a certified English translation of the document. The translation must be:

  • Carried out by a qualified translator
  • Signed and stamped by the translator

The translator must confirm in writing that the translation is an exact translation of the original. The translator must also provide their contact details (telephone, address and/or email address).

We may receive application documents from relevant authorities which are not in English. If so, we will return a copy of that document to you to have translated by a qualified translator.  You will need to cover the cost of any translations required to process your application.

Documents to be sent directly from relevant authorities

This table summarises the forms within the full application pack that must be completed by relevant authorities.  It should be read along with other sections below to understand what is relevant to all non-Irish trained applicants and what are relevant only to Group 1, 2 or 3 applicants. 


Relevant authorities

(must be sent directly from the following to NMBI)

A - TranscriptWhere you completed your nursing or midwifery training and education programme:
. University
. School of nursing or midwifery
. Hospital
. Healthcare institution
B - ReferenceWhere you are employed as a nurse or midwife:
. Hospital
. Training institution
. Other relevant practice related employer
C - Certificate of Current Professional Status (CCPS)Where you hold (and have previously held) nursing or midwifery registration:
. Regulatory body or
. Competent authority

D - International English Language Testing System (IELTS)

 Where you sat your IELTS Academic test:
. IELTS test centre
E - Graduate Nursing or Midwifery Programme (GNP or GMP)Where you completed your supervised graduate nursing or midwifery programme:
. Hospital
. Healthcare institution



Items needed from all applicants

All applicants who trained outside of the Republic of Ireland must provide six separate items, irrespective of where they trained.

1. Completed application form

Within the full application pack, you will receive an application form for completion.  The first 11 pages of the form are the same for all applicants.  There will be an additional page, or pages, in the form for completion depending on how many divisions of the Register you wish to join.

Please make sure all parts of the application form are completed in full. They should be stamped and signed where indicated.

2. Birth certificate

You must send us a certified copy of your birth certificate.  We will record your name on our records as it appears on your birth certificate.  Find out more about what a certified copy is on our FAQ page.

If there is no difference between the name on your birth certificate and the name on other application documents, there are no further requirements.

However, if there is a difference between the name on your birth certificate and the name or names on other application documents, you must also send us one of the documents listed below: 

Marriage or civil partnership certificate:
If you are married, send us a certified copy of your marriage or civil partnership certificate.  On the application form, please indicate whether you want to change your surname following marriage or civil partnership,  use a double barrelled surname or keep your maiden name (birth surname).

Deed Poll:
If you have officially changed your name since birth (other than a change of surname by marriage), you need to send us a certified copy of your legal change of name by Deed Poll.

Please send us a sworn affidavit if the spelling of your name on your birth certificate is different from the spelling of your name on the application form, or on other application documents.  The affidavit must be sworn or declared before a:

  • Legal practitioner - a solicitor or a lawyer
  • Notary public
  • Peace commissioner
  • Commissioner for oaths


3. Passport


You must send us a certified photocopy of your current passport. We will only need a certified copy of the page containing your photograph, signature and personal details. Please ensure that the photocopy is clear and easy to read. If you do not hold a passport, please send us one of the following:

  • Written explanation about why you cannot supply the copy of your passport
  • Certified copy of your National Identity Card

4. Photographs

Send us two passport-sized photographs. Please write your name and reference number on the reverse of each photograph. Your reference number is printed on each page of the full application pack.

5. Declaration page

Within the pack, you will find a declaration page.  It is important that you read it carefully before you sign it.  By signing the declaration, you are confirming that you are fit to practice as a nurse or midwife, you have completed the form truthfully and that you consent to NMBI contacting other parties in connection with your application.


6.  Certificate of Current Professional Status (CCPS): Form C

Form C in the full application pack should not be completed by you.  Instead, it must be completed by what is called the "competent authority".  This is the organisation within each country which is responsible for registering nurses and midwives.  In Ireland, the competent authority is NMBI.

At the date of application, all Group 1, 2 and 3 applicants must be currently registered as a nurse or midwife in another country. A Certificate of Current Professional Status (CCPS) is required from the competent authority.  A CCPS is a certificate issued by your competent nursing or midwifery authority, which provides a range of information about the current status of your registration and training. The certificate is issued to professionals who are seeking registration with a regulator such as NMBI in another country.

You must send Form C to the relevant competent authority. The authority should complete the form and send it directly to us with a CCPS. You can make extra copies of Form C, if you are registered with more than one competent authority.

We need a CCPS from the competent authorities where you:

  • Completed your nursing/midwifery education
  • Hold current registration
  • Have previously held registration
  • Have worked as a nurse or midwife in that country, state or jurisdiction

If you are a Group 1 applicant - those who have trained in the EU or EEA and meet the Directive - the CCPS we receive should clearly state what article of EU Directive 2005/36/EC you meet.

In some countries , one competent authority in that country will confirm if your training meets EU Directive 2005/36/EC, while a different competent authority in the same country will confirm your good character. If this is the case, we will need a CCPS from each competent authority.

Find out about the differences between Group 1, 2 and 3 applicants on our Registering to practise page. 

Extra documents from Group 2 and 3 applicants

All Group 2 and 3 applicants need two additional items sent directly to NMBI from the training college where you trained and from your current or recent employer or employers.

1. Transcript of training:  Form A

As part of the educational assessment we are obliged to carry out, we need to verify your nursing or midwifery training. You must always apply for registration in the division of your primary qualification. You can also apply for registration in any secondary divisions in which you have been educated and trained.

To process your application, we need the following from your training college:

  • Fully completed Form A which is part of your full application pack
  • Transcript of training

If you have completed other nursing and midwifery-related programmes that you would like us to consider, please arrange for a transcript to be sent to NMBI from the training college. All transcripts should include:

  • Theory (contact teaching) in clock hours
  • Clinical practice (direct patient care) in clock hours

Learn about clock hours and why we need this information on our FAQ page.

2. Professional employment reference:  Form B

As part of the application process, we need to check your post qualification work experience as a nurse or midwife.  To do this, we need a professional employment reference or references.  Form B, which is part of your full application pack, must be completed by your current or most recent employer.

If your current or most recent post is less than 12 months of continuous employment, we need extra Form Bs from your previous employer(s) to cover a 12 month period. If you have never been employed as a nurse/midwife, please note this in the Curriculum Vitae section on the main application form.

Please make sure that you follow the instructions on Form B and arrange for the correct person to complete and sign the form. Form B must be completed and signed by the:

  • Director of Nursing/Midwifery
  • Matron
  • Nurse/Midwife Manager

If you do not report to an individual holding one of those titles, we need an explanation in writing from the person that you report to explaining:

  • Why a Director of Nursing, Midwifery, Matron, Nurse/Midwife Manager cannot complete Form B
  • The professional  reporting relationship where you work

Other documents: Group 3 only

If you are a Group 3 applicant, we may need extra application items directly from the sources.  You should review the two items listed below to check if they apply to you:

1. English language competence:  Form D

English language competence is necessary to safely and effectively practise nursing and midwifery in Ireland.  We need proof of English language competence if English is not the first or primary language in the country where you completed your nursing education and training.
If this is the case, we need the following directly from the test centre where you sat your International English Language Testing System (IELTS) Academic examination:

  • Completed Form D  which is part of the full application pack 
  • IELTS Academic Test Report

You need to meet the minimum scores set by NMBI in the IELTS Academic Test. 

Read about English language competence in our FAQ page.

2. Graduate nurse/midwife programme: Form E

If you completed a supervised Graduate Nurse /Midwife Programme (GNP/GMP) after finishing your training, you may arrange for details of the programme to be sent directly to us from the hospital or healthcare institution where you completed the programme.  We may be able to use any relevant supervised theory and clinical hours in the programme to support your application. The Programme Co-ordinator must:

  • Complete Form E about the graduate nurse/midwife programme
  • Send us a detailed breakdown of theory (contact teaching) and supervised clinical practice (direct patient care) in clock hours

GNP/GMP is the most common name for a supervised graduate nursing/midwifery programme. However, you can also arrange for a Form E, to be directly to us from the hospital or healthcare institution where you completed the programme, if you have completed one of the following graduate programmes:

  • Transitional programme
  • Internship programme
  • Preceptorship programme
  • Co-op work experience programme