Skip Navigation|
  • You are here:
  • Home
  • Registering to Practise
  • Text Size
  • Small text icon
  • Large text icon

One of the core functions of the Nursing and Midwifery Board of Ireland (NMBI) is to maintain a register, known as the "Register of Nurses and Midwives" or the Register, for short. You must be on NMBI’s register to practise as a nurse or midwife in Ireland.  Registration with NMBI assures the public, employers and colleagues that a nurse or midwife:

  • Has the qualifications needed to practise
  • Has not had his or her name removed from the Register for misconduct
  • Is working in a regulated profession

Over 63,600 of our registered nurses and midwives (registrants) are on our "active" Register. This means that the registrant is eligible to practise, once they have fulfilled any other conditions needed to maintain their registration. To practise as a nurse or midwife in the Republic of Ireland registrants must:

  • Be on our Active Register
  • Pay the Annual Retention Fee
  • Comply with any fitness to practise restrictions or conditions attached to their registration


Structure of our Register

The Register is sub-divided ten divisions of the Register and each has different education requirements. A nurse or midwife can only practise in a division or divisions in which he or she is registered. An example of a division of our Register is the Psychiatric Nurse Division. Find out more about the divisions of the Register on our Join the Register page.


Checking the Register

We maintain a Register which is accessible to the public. Anybody is welcome to Check the Register to see if a nurse or midwife is registered, and also check their registration status.


Registering for the first time


Trained in Ireland

You can find out about how to register on our trained in Ireland page. There are specific registration requirements for prescribing, and also for advanced practice which you can learn more about on our Join the Register page. 

Trained outside Ireland

If you trained outside Ireland, you need to understand the process involved in applying to join the Register. Please visit the Trained outside Ireland? to read our Guide for Overseas Applicants before you commence your application process.

Maintaining your registration

To stay on the Register, you must renew your registration each year.  To do so, you need to pay an annual fee, which we call the "annual retention fee".  This fee is due on 1 January each year.  We will send you out notification in advance of this date to let you know that the fee is due.

You will receive an "Annual Retention Certificate" 7-10 working days after you have paid your fee.  This certificate confirms your registration details and the date that your registration expires.  This certificate is very important and you will need to show it to all nursing and midwifery employers in Ireland. An employer or HEI may make a copy of this certificate; however you should always keep your original certificate.

Registering to practise in another country

To practise outside of Ireland as a nurse or midwife, you will need to register with by what is called the "competent authority" in that country.  This is the organisation within each country which is responsible for registering nurses and midwives.  In Ireland, the competent authority is NMBI. The competent authority may ask for a Certificate of Current Professional Status (CCPS), which can also be referred to as verification of registration.

If you are registered with NMBI and you wish to work in another country, you will need to send a letter to NMBI to request a CCPS. The letter should include the following:

  • Your PIN
  • Your full name, address, email address and contact telephone number
  • Name and address of the competent authority that requires the verification
  • CCPS fee  - see fees and methods of payment for details

We will then send a CCPS to the competent authority on your behalf. This certificate confirms your initial registration date, the current status of your registration, your expiry date, the qualifications you hold on our register and your training dates.  It will also confirm if you meet EU Directive 2005/36/EC.

If you have restrictions or conditions attached to your registration, or if you are in the process of having a complaint reviewed by the Fitness to Practise department, we will include this information on your CCPS.  If this is the case, we will request your permission before we send the CCPS.